Monday, December 29, 2008

Wrapping up 2008

As 2008 comes to an end, I look back on its high and low points.  It wasn't so bad.  I graduated college, got into med school, and finished a semester without losing my mind.  So overall it was a good year.  But I've got big plans for 2009.  

A few of my goals include (not always realistic, but I'm setting the bar high)

1.  4.0 for spring semester (that's the really unrealistic one).  Really I just want an A in physiology.  This will require paying attention in class (hopefully I haven't forgotten how), which is sad since class has become a social time for me.  But I think this might be necessary to succeed.  When I look back at my first test block, I wonder what happened?  I went from making all As... to not.  Strangely enough, this is also when I discovered gchat.  and began texting heavily.   

2.  Healthy eating.  Starting out with the basics: three, not four meals a day.  not eating my body weight in ben and jerry's on a regular basis.  fast food... ew. no more.  My philosophy usually is, once a day is shot as far as eating healthy goes, then I might as well make the best of it and eat as unhealthily as is possible.  This is not a good theory.     

3.  Exercising regularly, which I would have to do to get to my real goal- a triathlon in pensacola at the end of april.  1m swim, 24m bike, and 6m run.  The 6m running is the daunting task to me.  I'm not really a fan of running, and the most I've ever run is 3m.  Plus, the few times I've tried to run this past semester I've ended up with a killer cramp in the side before I hit the corner of my street.  Also, it would be wonderful if someone wanted to do this with me.  Any takers?

5.  Being slightly more responsible with my money. Luckily, most of the money I spent/wasted last semester was on food, so if I'm following through with goal #2, this one will fall in line too.

6.  avoid boys, 'nough said. 

7.  find something exciting to do this summer.  They keep telling me this is my last summer, ever.  I want to spend it in Europe, so maybe I should get on the planning.  

All these lead to a happier me, which is what I need.  These past few months have been a bit of a emotional roller coaster, and it took me awhile to pinpoint the cause of my distress.  This break has been a nice opportunity to look back on the past semester, see the things that I didn't do that I need to and the things I did do that I shouldn't have.  And now I've got a fresh start and it's gonna be killer.  Watch out 2009.  

3 comments:

  1. Good for you. Umm, I'd love to join you in the triathlon resolution, but it's insane. For me, at least. NOT happening. I barely even know HOW to swim. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i could do the swimming and running ... but the last time i drove a bike i drove into a bush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to Europe with me!! Or you can come to Puerto Rico with me in June. Haha. You think you can handle my family? Pretty much it's just 20 people who are loud, crazy and you can never really understand what they're saying. Just like me... :)

    ReplyDelete