Saturday, June 29, 2013

A year in review

So somehow it is june 29th which means I have one more day of my intern year of residency.  CRAZZYYYY.  I feel like it's flown by, and it's been filled to the brim with experiences I will never forget.  I've laughed, I've cried (usually from laughing), and I've loved it.  Probably the best year yet.  So here's a bit of a recap:

-My job. It's tough, but I love it.  It's a blessing to be given the opportunity to do what I do.  I work with the best group of people I could ask for.  And you just gotta love the kids.  Love them.





-I wear a lot of dresses to work and I'm always getting compliments.  One of the attendings even refers to me as Fashion Liz (sorry other liz...).  I have 4 words for you: ROSS DRESS FOR LESS.  I gotta give credit where credit is deserved.





-I hit a deer and my car was totaled.  So therefore I bought a new car.  And then 2 months later they gave me a newer car.  True story.  They'd sold me the wrong car (wrong VIN number) and they needed to switch them out, so I exchanged my 2500 miles for an identical car with 25 miles.  Winning.  





-I've gotten really in shape this year.  I started exercising all the time, I eat really healthy... just kidding.  All I've been thinking about this whole time is pizza.





I became a gamecock fan. 

But never forgetting who really comes first.  This was the first time in 8 years I didn't go to an Auburn football game... I think God planned my intern year of residency well.





I reminisced often this year on how unfortunate looking I used to be.  If I haven't shown you the slideshow compilation of my childhood pics, please let me know.  By the end of it your eyes with by filled with tears (from laughing) and your heart filled with pity.   






My birthday party consisted of pizza (duh) and frankie's fun park with laser tag.  If you'll notice my pink shirt, it was literally glowing under the black lights.  Needless to say I did not do well.  But so fun!


After months of built up frustration, Jamie and I finally took it out in the laser tag arena.  We worked out our differences.  I think we're friends now.






I've had a lot of fun.  As an example, here was our killer efforts for an 80s party at a skating rink.  Jamie has an identical outfit from when she was younger.






This is the view from my backyard.  Not too shabby...






Finn and I have enjoyed our home in SC.  He's loved by all.  Except Jen.





We danced a lot this year. Wii dance parties, galas/balls, the car ride on the way to work...

Wobbling...
Wobbling again...



Most of the time I don't feel like I have my life in order.  Things like this happen...



Or this...




Or this...




But I'm learning to lean on Christ.I have wonderfully supportive and loving parents who have always selflessly put the needs of my sister and I before their own.  A few weeks ago they came up and spent hours and hours doing yard work or random jobs inside my house while I slept since I was on night float.  I have friends from back home that I MISS SO MUCH but I know they are only a phone call away when I need to discuss any life issues.  And I have an amazing group of people in my life up here that have made this transition so much easier.  Here's to another year with much more excitement to come.   



One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.

Psalm 27:4



1 comment:

  1. No experience will ever take the place of that first year in residency--memories of really bad times, times where I thought I wanted to be anything but a doctor; and really good times, the "aha" moments when things began to make sense and the tunnel actually did have a light. Congratulations of getting to the end of the first tunnel. The others are shorter. :)

    ReplyDelete