Sunday, November 27, 2011

oh the craziness

I just finished watching the ESPN special on the Auburn/Alabama rivalry. It was more depressing than interesting for me... it was a harsh reminder of what people are willing to do or say for the football team they love. I should have counted the number of times the word HATE was used. We were compared to the Israelites and Palestinians. There were stories of an Alabama coach receiving death threats from his own fans after 3 consecutive loses to Auburn, a former Auburn coach stating "NOTHING is bigger than Auburn" (nothing? really?), and then, the all too famous Harvey Updyke.

That man LOVES him some Alabama football. On this documentary, he proudly showed his collection of over 50 Alabama hats. His children have been given Crimson Tide themed names. He stated that after the iron bowl last year he felt like someone had reached inside his chest and ripped his heart out (dramatic much?). And then, he was so incredibly angry at Auburn after that game that he decided his revenge would be aimed at 130 year old trees, accompanied by absolutely no remorse. Why did he do it? "There's just too much Bama in me." What?!?

So yes, he may in fact be crazy. But he is also extremely passionate, loyal, etc and head over heels in love with one certain thing. This analogy was brought up in church today. What if I loved Christ so much that people thought I was a little nutso? I mean, I'm not going to go and take up herbiciding but the Bible does say that Christians will be persecuted for their faith. If I really took a stand for Jesus would I lose relationships that I value? Would I put my education or future job at risk? Probably wouldn't be putting my life in jeopardy too much in good ole Mobile, AL/Bible belt territory, but that happens every day to Christians around the world. You bring up traveling I've done, college football, J Crew, Disney World, etc... I'll talk your ear off about any one of those worldly subjects and many more. But I wanna be the crazy kid that talks about Jesus all the time, because I should be blown away by how much he loves me. And what would my reasoning be for the craziness?

"There's just too much Jesus in me."

Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment