Thursday, November 17, 2011

my motel drama

Staying in hotels by myself has brought to memory my first (and only until now) lone hotel night, when I was interviewing for medical school at UAB. I remember driving in at night in awe of the skyline, and my hotel was located up on top of a hill where I'd have an awesome view of the city. I walked in, approached the front desk, and said, I'm checking in!

They immediately handed over a key and said you're in room XXX and your roommate is X. Come again? My WHAT?! At first I thought it was a joke, but after realizing they weren't laughing. I said, 'a roommate??' to which they replied 'yeah, you thought you'd have a room to yourself?" In the next few moments, my female brain did not disappoint, I had about 17 different thoughts going on at one time- how can I have a roommate, they didn't say anything about that on hotels.com?? what if this roommate is a grown man?? I was so looking forward to a night by myself to relax before tomorrow? I've already paid for this room so what can I do now? They can't MAKE me have a roommate, can they? My moments of despair was interrupted by

'you're with this group, aren't you?'

I look around to see a big group of adults, that looked like a mix between wannabe bikers and ex-inmates.

'No....' I replied to which another hotel worker said, yeah... I didn't think you looked the part. So I was then checked into my private room and it was not too bad. I feasted on a Sonic dinner and watched a Lifetime movie. Probably the only lifetime movie I've ever watched, and it was depressing. So maybe bad choice there... But fairly good stay. UNTIL... I woke up in the morning and there was no hot water coming out of the faucet. Called front desk, oh it was out. For the whole entire hotel. So I don't remember what exactly I did this morning to get ready, but I did not shower. I also was rejected at UAB. Coincidence? Maybe not....

No comments:

Post a Comment