Saturday, March 28, 2009

fitness fails me again

Just like my trusty Fitness magazine brought me the spinach smoothie, I found another article of interest in the latest issue: "Drop 10 lbs THIS month!"  The plan is threefold.  1-doing their toner exercises twice a week, 2- doing cardio 3x a week, and 3-eating 1500 calories a day.  Not so bad, eh?  

So Thursday morning (probably as a way to avoid studying) I decided to try out their toner exercises.  I open up to Part 1 where it showed a really fit girl doing all these easy looking moves.  I get started on the super leg slimmers: the arabesque, salute, and static lunge kick-back, which all end up being versions of the lunge.  Well, about 5 in I am feeling the burn.  After 10, I'm huffing and puffing.  At about 20, I realize I am sweating profusely.  And yet for some reason, I continue all the way to 60.  It didn't look pretty, but I did it.  After taking about 20 minutes to recover, I move on to the amazing ab flatteners, but they confuse me.  Next, are the best butt toners, but as soon as I realize that these are all squats (my legs are still on fire), I quit.  

Thursday was very painful, but Friday was even worse.  The little things in life, getting out of my car, walking down stairs, moving... became such a challenge.  Now, approximately 64 hours later, I still find myself involuntarily groaning every time I stand up or sit down.  New York celebrity trainer Justin Geilband did say I would "sculpt muscle fibers I've probably never reached before." Amen to that.  

So here's my take on this whole strategy.  I did the first three moves, but what if I would have kept going to do all 12?  I might have been able to make it through that first day, but that next morning when I woke up I would literally be unable to get out of the bed.  So, stuck in bed for an entire day waiting for the pain to subside, can't get to food... I'd probably lose a couple pounds right?  And when I reach the point where I'm able to move again, its almost time for the second dose of 12 toner moves followed shortly by another day of bed rest. After a month, thats at least a whole weeks worth of not eating at all.  And there's your 10 pounds.  

5 comments:

  1. it's all in the deceptive way they word it. they make you think your ten pounds will be gone due to the exercises shedding the pounds, but in reality, it's because of the invalid and bedridden status you will obtain by not being able to move.

    on a brighter note - that might help you concentrate on your studies, because you won't be able to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will not be fooled. I refuse to do their toner moves and lose 10 pounds. I'll show them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. this is liz, and it wont ever let me comment under my name anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha. so true. those fitness magazines are unreal sometimes. just don't play intramural softball, and you'll make it through without the burning thigh muscles... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You write really good for a doc-to-be.

    ReplyDelete