Thursday, June 16, 2011

red rain strikes again!

Sometimes when I'm in surgery and I get edged out by someone higher up on the totem pole than me so I can't see anything... or when I'm retracting while meticulous and unexciting work is being done... I daydream. About the meal I missed while being in surgery, what it will be like to not have to wake up before 5am, things like that. But also in my head, I've been constructing a list, something like '100 reasons why I will never be a surgeon.' I think 2 months of surgery rotation is just the perfect time for me, because I have liked it for the most part but anything more might just have done me in. I'm on CVT right now, and they do some boring loooong surgeries and they make you get up too early but they also do some really cool stuff. I mean, who has gotten to see/hold a beating heart inside someone's chest? ME! Today I was in surgery with a certain attending dubbed the name 'red rain.' Why? Because he likes to make it rain. There's just a little bit of pressure getting blood through the arteries, and if you have to cut into one, most surgeons like to clamp them pretty quickly or else blood goes shooting everywhere. And it can shoot pretty far, several feet. However, this surgeon is so apathetic to the event of someone else's blood jetting onto his face that he just lets it rain for a moment. Or several moments. This OR room when he was finished was not for the faint of heart and the poor resident's neck had been victimized also. I managed to get out of there unharmed. Tomorrow we have 3 surgeries, and next week we have some really cool things we'll be working on. One is a suspected teratoma they gotta cut out. If you don't know what that is, please see the following picture. tertoma . It this tumor that can contain crazy things like teeth and hair. Its digusting but also awesome. Stay tuned for my thrilling end of surgery rotation blog.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you explain things so that even non-medical people can understand what's going on. :) I agree with the two-month thing... I don't know that I could last much longer. I'm also lucky in that I get to finish out the rotation with my elective weeks. Whew. I think that, when surgery is over, I may come back and try blogging again... I've missed the chance to say some interesting stuff this year, though. I wish I had written down all the fun and crazy times! Alas. I'm sure there will be more to come.

    ReplyDelete